Frequently Asked Questions:
On what projects are trainees required?
The trainee hours requirement is inserted into specific projects if:
the project received federal funding.
the estimated dollar amount of a minimum of $4 Million.
the number of days estimated to complete the project is greater than 150 days.
there will be work for skilled job classes in order to provide training opportunities.
How are the required hours determined?
The number of hours assigned to specific projects is calculated based upon the number of days estimated to complete the project multiplied by eight hours per day. A range of hours from a minimum of 1200 hours to a maximum of 4000 hours may be assigned to a project.
Who is eligible to be assigned as a trainee?
Minorities and women that have not previously completed a training program are eligible to be assigned as trainees. Based upon special circumstances other individuals may be approved.
What are the steps involved to assign a trainee?
1. The contractor completes a Request for Trainee Approval, Form 1002
2. The Form 1002 should be submitted to the KDOT Construction Office at or prior to the Pre- Construction Conference. The Contractor needs to have an approved plan to achieve the trainee hours required on the project prior to any contract work occurring on the project.
3. The KDOT Construction Office will approve/disapprove the request based upon the availability on the project of the requested work type. The Form 1002 will be forwarded to the Office of Civil Rights.
4. The Office of Civil Rights will approve/disapprove the request based upon the eligibility of the individual for the program requested minority or woman has not previously completed a training program job classification is an approved training program, etc.
5. The Office of Civil Rights notifies the KDOT Construction Office with a copy forwarded to the Prime and Subcontractors involved of the determination of approval/disapproval.
After a trainee is approved, what does the contractor need to do?
The contractor needs to complete, sign, and date a Contractor’s Weekly Employee Training Report, DOT Form 231, for each week after the trainee starts to train in his/her program. The 231s must match the Certified Payrolls for the assigned project and be submitted to the KDOT Construction Office together.
May an individual be transferred from one KDOT project to another?
Yes. A revised DOT Form 1002 for the individual should be submitted to the KDOT Construction Office for the new project and forwarded to the Office of Civil Rights for approval.