Disadvantage Business Enterprises (DBEs)

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is a DBE?

To be eligible as a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) an applicant must meet the following criteria:

The disadvantaged owner must be a citizen of the United States or have been lawfully admitted as a permanent U.S. resident.

The firm must meet USDOT size standards, be independent, be viable and be for profit.

The business must be at least 51% owned and controlled by a socially and economically disadvantaged person.

Economic disadvantage is a personal net worth under $1.32 million excluding equity in the applicant business and the disadvantaged owner’s primary residence.

How can DBE status help my business?

Many KDOT highway projects, primarily those containing federal-aid funds, have a DBE goal. A project with a DBE goal means some of the work must be performed by a DBE certified in the state of Kansas. In addition, other governmental agencies also have projects with DBE goals and/or encourage utilization of DBEs for some or all of their projects.

DBE certification may give your business an opportunity to bid on work that may not have been available to you previously.

How long will the certification process take?

After receipt of your completed application form and requested documents, your application will be completed in 30 to 90 days. As part of the certification process, we will perform an on-site visit to your office or home as required by federal regulation.

Who is eligible for DBE Supportive Services?

All KDOT certified DBEs who reside in the state of Kansas are eligible to take advantage of DBE Supportive Services.

What DBE Supportive Services are available?

Business Consulting – Operation reviews, computer software support and other professional services

KDOT DBE workshops

Training Reimbursement – For workshops, seminars or classes that support the growth of the DBE business.

OSHA Safety training

Small business and construction related newsletters

Project proposals at no cost

Project listing for upcoming lettings (including quantities and contract goals)

Web page development

*Note: Not all services are available to all DBEs. Some services require advance approval by KDOT.

Who provides the supportive services?

The KDOT contracted provider for most supportive services is Motsinger CPA Tax & Accounting in Lawrence, Kansas.
The Office of Contract Compliance has information on project lettings, future DBE workshops and OSHA Safety training.
Contact the Bureau of Construction and Maintenance to request project proposals.